Guacamole & Salsa
Guacamole & salsa are great colourful, go to dips – each them with tortilla chips, serve them with chilli and fajitas or have them with eggs on toast
Knife skills, Seasoning
Guacamole & Salsa
By: Chloe Coker
Guacamole and salsa are great colourful veggie dips. Serve them with dishes such as fajitas and chilli or they are equally good with eggs on toast for breakfast
optional: ½ small red onion, finely diced
optional: ½-1 green chilli
chopped fresh coriander
2 ripe avocados
pinch of salt
1 tbsp olive oil
- If you are adding onion and chilli, finely chop and crush the onion, chilli and coriander together on a board or in a pestle and mortar
- Peel and stone the avocados and mash with a fork (keep a few chunks for texture). Place in a bowl and stir through the onion mix. Add a squeeze of lemon/lime and a pinch of salt.
- Stir through 1 tbsp olive oil and adjust the seasoning with extra lemon/lime and salt.
- For a smooth guacamole, blitz with a hand blender
- Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve. You can freeze guacamole for later
For a lighter avocado dip: stir 3 tbsp natural yoghurt and the juice of half a lemon through the guacamole
Try to use good quality, ripe tomatoes in this salsa.
300g vine tomatoes, deseeded
¼ red onion, finely diced
handful chopped fresh coriander
juice of ½ lime
optional: ½ red chilli, finely diced
optional: ½ garlic clove, crushed
generous pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
- Scoop out the seeds of the tomatoes and finely chop. Bash the tomatoes in a pestle and mortar or blitz half of the mixture with a hand held blender
- Stir through the remaining ingredients and season with salt and sugar. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least an hour for the flavours to develop
6 tbsp Greek yoghurt
hot sauce to taste (siracha / gochujang)
optional: half a green pepper, diced
optional: handful chopped coriander
You can make a quick spicy yoghurt by stirring any type of hot sauce such as siracha (Mexican) or harissa (Moroccan) through Greek yoghurt. Alternatively stir chopped fresh herbs and half a clove of crushed garlic through yoghurt and finish it with a squeeze of lemon/lime, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar.
Tips, Tricks and Teaching Info
Seasoning as all about balancing salt, sweet and acid flavours. A pinch of sugar in a salsa helps balance the acidity of the tomatoes and the salt brings out the flavour. Lime in the guacamole cuts through the richness of the avocado
If you like these dips
have a go at our sweet potato hummus and other dip recipes.