Sausage Rolls/Veggie Rolls
Sausage / veggie rolls are so quick and easy to make. They are a really crown pleaser for parties and also great for quick lunches and picnics. They also freeze really well so you can make them ahead and then pop a few in the oven when you want them.
Knife skills, Seasoning, Simmering, Reducing, Cooking a Meal
By: Chloe Coker
These sausage rolls are really quick and easy to make – all you need is some shop bought puff pastry and some sausages or veggie filling.
You will need
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
400g good quality sausage meat
optional: handful chopped parsley, 1 tsp fennel seeds, pinch of chilli flakes
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180*c
- Unroll the pastry and cut in half lengthways. Divide the sausage meet into two and spread along the centre of each piece of pastry in a sausage shape, making sure you leave at least a cm of pastry each side
- Brush the edge of the pastry with egg and tightly roll the pastry around the sausage meat, securing the edges together. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll into 8 – 10 pieces (about 2.5cm long). *The sausage rolls can be frozen at this point
- Place on a baking sheet, brush with egg to glaze, then bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the sausage rolls are golden and the meat is cooked all the way through.
To make a vegetarian/vegan filling
1 butternut squash (cut into 1 cm dice)
50g pine nuts
1 onion, finely diced
3 cm ginger, grated
2 garlic gloves, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cinnamon
optional: punch of chilli flakes
optional: 50g feta, crumbled
handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200*c. Roast the squash in a baking tray with some salt and pepper and olive oil, for 30 minutes until it is soft but still holding its shape. Add the pine nuts for the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Allow to cool
- In the meantime, place the onion in a pan with a tbsp. of olive oil and cook over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool
- Stir together the squash and onion mixture, then stir through the crumbled feta and coriander and season with salt and pepper
Tips, Tricks and Teaching Info
Sausage rolls can be made ahead and frozen unbaked. Simply freeze on trays and, once frozen, pack into a freezer container / bag. Cook straight from frozen – just add 10 minutes to the cooking timer.
Leftover puff pastry?
If you have leftover puff pastry why not try making some quick apple puff tarts.