Homemade sausage rolls are quick and simple to make and can be cooked from frozen so are easy to make ahead ready for Christmas entertaining.
You will need:
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
400g good quality sausage meet
optional: handful chopped parsley, 1 tsp fennel seeds, pinch of chilli flakes
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180*c
- Unroll the pastry and cut in half lengthways.
- Add any additional ingredients (fresh herbs, fennel seeds, chilli flakes) to the sausage meat and stir to combine. Divide the sausage meat in half and spread along the centre of each piece of pastry in a sausage shape, making sure you leave a good amount of pastry (at least a centimetre) on each side so that you can roll it up
- Brush the edge of the pastry with egg and tightly roll the pastry around the sausage meat, securing the edges together. Turn the sausage roll over so that the join in the pastry is on the bottom and, using a sharp knife, cut each roll into between 6-10 pieces depending no how big you would like your sausage rolls. *The sausage rolls can be frozen at this point – separate them and place them on a tray in the freezer so that they don’t stick together – then once frozen hard they can be placed in a freezer bag
- When you are ready to cook them, stand the sausage rolls on a baking sheet, brush with beaten egg to glaze, then bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the sausage rolls are golden and the meat is cooked all the way through. *You can cook the sausage rolls straight from frozen – just add 10 minutes to the cooking time and make sure the meat is cooked all the way through